8 dessert baking tips from our Master Bakers!
Dessert baking can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a bit challenging. Every dessert, whether it be cakes, cookies, brownies, or something else requires an understanding of the basics as well as the nuances of the recipe. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced baker, there are always new tips and tricks to learn to help make your desserts turn out perfect every time. Here are a few helpful tips and tricks from the Ladies of Simply Decadent to help you get started:
1. Use the right type of flour: Different types of desserts require different types of flour. For cakes, you may want to use a cake flour, which has a lower protein content and will result in a lighter, fluffier cake. For cookies and pie crusts, you'll want to use a all-purpose flour, which has a higher protein content and will result in a more tender texture. We have at several different types of flower in our bakery at all times!
2. Use room temperature ingredients: Room temperature ingredients will mix together better and will result in a more consistent texture. If your ingredients are too cold, your dessert may not rise properly or may have a dense texture. So, be sure to take your ingredients out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before you start baking.
3. Measure ingredients correctly: Baking is a science, and precise measurements are important for the final product. Preferably, use a kitchen scale to weigh ingredients for a more accurate measurement. But if you choose to use volume measurements, be sure to use measuring cups and spoons that are specifically designed for dry and liquid ingredients.
4. Follow the recipe: This may seem obvious, but it's important to follow the recipe exactly as written. Baking is a science, and if you deviate from the recipe, you may end up with a dessert that doesn't turn out as expected.
5. Don't over mix: Over mixing can result in a tough texture, so be sure to mix ingredients only until just combined. This is especially important for cakes and cookies where over mixing can cause them to become dense and tough.
6. Properly grease and line your pan: Properly greasing and lining your pan will ensure that your dessert doesn't stick and will make it much easier to remove from the pan.
7. Timing is everything: Every oven is different, so be sure to keep an eye on your dessert as it bakes. Over baking can result in a dry and crumbly texture, while under baking can result in a gooey center. An extra tip for cake bakers, stick a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done baking.
8. Cooling and storage: Be sure to let your dessert cool completely before storing it. It's often best to leave them in the baking dish for a period of time before moving to a cooling rack. Once cool, make sure to store in an air tight container to keep the desserts fresh.
By following these tips and tricks, you'll be on your way to creating delicious and beautiful desserts that are sure to impress. Happy baking!
Which dessert do you want to bake next?
Other (Comment Below)
Simply Decadent is a premier dessert bakery located in Bellbrook, Ohio. Founded in 2017 by three amazing women, Simply Decadent has established itself as a destination for fresh baked, great tasting, beautiful desserts that are customized to the client. While any dessert is within reach, Simply Decadent focuses on Birthday cakes, Wedding cakes, Special Occasion Cakes, Cupcakes, Cookies, and various Dessert Bars! Combining personalized service with years of experience, the owners of Simply Decadent treat your special events like their own. To learn more about owners Jackie, Adonica, and Debby, and the history of Simply Decadent, click here.